Posted on 8th March 2021 at 21:48
Refurbishment of Kennington’s Memorial Arch, which commemorates residents who lost their lives in the Second World War, has at last been completed. Following concerns about deterioration of the paintwork, and some corrosion and damage to the “1939-1945” numerals, Kennington Community Council arranged for the metalwork to be stripped to base and defects repaired, then treated with a cold galvanizing layer and a final black powder coating. The numerals have been gilded with ‘Ardenbrite Sovereign Gold No.8’, which restores the original colour scheme. However, the reinstallation was delayed when it was found that one of the oak posts had decayed and become loose. Rather than risking a collapse, the Council arranged for new oak posts, and, working with Covid-19 restrictions and wintry weather, reinstallation was completed earlier today.
The Memorial Arch, in the Garden of Remembrance at the junction of Ulley Road and upper Vicarage Road, was dedicated on Remembrance Sunday 1950. Kentish Express reported that “At the entrance to the garden is a gateway formed by two oak posts surmounted by a wrought-iron archway made by the late Mr. W. Wheatley and painted in black and gold by Mr. Collins.”
The Council is grateful for the support and advice of MJ Allen Metalwork who restored the metalwork, Four Seasons Fencing Ltd who supplied and installed the posts, and Brewers Decorator Centre for technical advice on the gold paint.
Share this post: